@BehrouzBoochani [30/3/17]: A Lebanese asylum seeker cut himself in #Manus airport when immigration tried to deport him. They took him to medical at 2pm, now in jail
WHERE IS YOUR STATEMENT ACTUALLY CONDEMNING THE DEPORTATIONS, AND CALLING ON THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT AND OPPOSITION TO END THEIR ANTI-REFUGEE POLICY? ---> As the deportations from Manus continue, more and more reports of a syndrome that resembles #uppgivenhetssyndrom @OzRefugeeCounc [30/3/17]
Human Rights Commission issues yet another partisan report, as Australia's war of attrition against refugees continues with impunity [Media Release - 30/3/17]:
... Our country maintains a generous resettlement program ... <--- A dubious, weaselly talking point, which minimises the utter disgrace of "deterrence" policy, and its flow on impact throughout the region.
Australian Human Rights Commission welcomes Brandis OPCAT PR stunt while simultaneously legitimising indefinite detention. [Media Release - 9/2/17]
Australian Human Rights Commission urges Turnbull to end ALP anti-refugee policy with "rights based" deterrence [Sydney Morning Herald - 14/9/16]
More despicable efforts by religious bigots to divide refugees into categories of deserving and undeserving [Catholic Leader - 30/3/17]:
... Bishop Long, who was in Brisbane as a guest of the Sisters of St Joseph and Evangelisation Brisbane, said “we realise that this is just a fraction of the dispersal of refugees from your homeland, from Iraq or from Syria”.
“Both countries are embroiled in civil war, and Australia can do a lot more,” the Bishop of Parramatta said.
“Last year, it was promised that 12,000 extra refugees would be brought from refugee camps to Australia, but, as I understand it, only a trickle have come through.
“We have to call the Government to account. ...
More than 100 die in Malaysian immigration detention centres in two years [Reuters - 30/3/17]:
More than one hundred foreigners died in the past two years in Malaysia's immigration detention centers from various diseases and unknown causes, according to documents from the government–funded National Human Rights Commission reviewed by Reuters.
The toll, which has not been previously disclosed, is based on Malaysian immigration department data provided to the commission, which is known by its Malay acronym Suhakam.
There were 83 deaths in 2015, and at least 35 in 2016 up to Dec. 20.
It is unclear whether the death rate is higher than in neighboring countries.
Government officials in Indonesia and Thailand told Reuters they do not disclose such numbers.
The rate is higher than in major industrialized nations such as the United States, which in the last financial year recorded 10 deaths in its immigration detention system, which has many more detainees than Malaysia’s.
More than half of the 118 dead are from Myanmar, the source for tens of thousands of refugees coming to Malaysia, including Rohingya Muslims escaping persecution by Myanmar’s authorities and its majority Buddhist population.
The number of Rohingya fatalities in the camps is unknown. ...
... While it is widely reported in the media that the number of boats leaving Indonesia for Australia has significantly dropped since the commencement of OSB, NGOs in Indonesia highlight that people seeking asylum have continued to arrive to the country.
While some live in supported shelters or independently in the community, others are locked up in immigration detention centres.
By 2015 there were 33 sites of immigration detention throughout Indonesia.
Australian funding through the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has expanded the capacity of this detention network since 2011. ... [Academy of Social Sciences in Australia - 2016]
Indonesian police have shot dead a West Papuan man described by authorities as an armed separatist leader.
In the early hours of Tuesday morning in Papua Province's Yapen district, Maikel Merani was killed in an exchange of fire with local police.
Various Indonesian media reports said the gunfight stemmed from a police raid on Mr Merani's house which turned violent.
Mr Merani, whose body was taken to Serui hospital, was understood to have been a long-term entrant on the Indonesian police wanted list.
Indonesian authorities released pictures of Maikel Merani's corpse as well as arms and paraphernalia alleged to have been discovered in Mr Merani's house.
These included an assault rifle, various ammunitions, knives, wads of cash and the outlawed Papuan Morning Star Flag.
According to the Jakarta Globe, a witness to the raid said police harassed and tortured Mr Merani's family members.
Police then reportedly took a man believed to be Mr Merani's father in for interrogation. [RNZI - 30/3/17]
'Hard to believe' Barrick didn't order PNG police operation at Porgera gold mine [RNZI - 30/3/17]
A man has died and another man is seriously injured in hospital after their car crashed following a police pursuit in the NSW central west.
Both men were ejected from the car in the single vehicle crash in South Bathurst, near the intersection of Lloyds Road and Vale Road, police said. ... [Sydney Morning Herald - 29/3/17]
Teenager who died at Australia youth detention centre was imprisoned under mandatory sentencing laws after stealing stationery [SBS - 30/3/17]:
The 15-year-old Aboriginal boy who died at Don Dale in 2000 had been sent there for 28 days under the Northern Territory's controversial mandatory sentencing laws, after stealing stationery worth less than $100.
Barrister John Lawrence QC, who acted for the boy's family during a 2001 coronial inquest into the death, told the NT Juvenile Justice Royal Commission the teenager had taken his own life after being locked down in a room on his own.
Officers were meant to check on him every 30 minutes but the inquest found they shrugged off clear symptoms of mental disturbance.
Mr Lawrence, who is now representing a teenager tear gassed at Don Dale in August 2014, told the inquiry staff working at Don Dale in 2012 did not follow the at-risk guidelines recommended by the coronial inquest into the boy's suicide.
Former Don Dale assistant general manager Michael Yaxley, who was involved in reforming "at risk" policies in the aftermath, disagreed.
"From that coronial (inquest), a lot of the staff that worked there continued on for many years and we took with us the seriousness of at-risk procedures in the Don Dale Centre," he told the inquiry on Thursday.
The CLP government introduced mandatory sentencing for property crimes in 1997, but they were repealed by the Martin Labor government in 2001.
Since then, both Labor and CLP governments have introduced mandatory sentencing law for serious assaults.
In 2012, a girl with a history of self-harm when placed in isolation was put in a high dependency at-risk unit at Don Dale.
The inquiry heard the inmate was only let out of her cell for 30 minutes each day, except for times when she was sufficiently well behaved to attend school.
In March 2015, the girl self-harmed six times over five days after being locked down yet again.
She was hospitalised three times during that period after trying to kill herself, yet wasn't seen by a mental health expert for four days.
The girl, known as AN, repeatedly pleaded to be let out of her cell and told the inquiry that she felt "dying was better than staying in isolation".
... Experts told the final public hearing of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse in Sydney that inaccurate stereotypes were hindering child protection.
Professor Anne-Marie McAlinden, from the University of Belfast, appeared via video link and said child molesters were often respected and well-liked individuals.
"That's one of the things that abusers will often strive to do," she said.
"To generate this perception that 'I am a nice person who's exceptionally kind to children', which then feeds into the popularity with other staff or parents and makes people less likely to challenge them."
Maria Radojevic is a grieving mother whose son died in 2014.
She told the Commission he was abused in a Christian school.
"We did not know it was happening right under our nose," she said.
"We believed that the school was a cocoon, like our home ... we had grown to trust the school as much as our son had, and to this extent we had become entrapped." ... [ABC - 30/3/17]
Child safety intolerant Australian politicians exploit victim's memory to expand policing the internet for thought crime ---> Authorities will be able to prosecute those lying about their age to minors online and intervene before a predator can act under new legislation introduced by the Federal Government.
Dubbed "Carly's Law", the Government said the Criminal Code Amendment (Protecting Minors Online) Bill, would "target online predators preparing or planning to cause harm to, procure, or engage in sexual activity with a child".
It would also target those who misrepresented their age, with offenders facing 10 years' imprisonment.
The proposed legislation follows a decade-long campaign by Sonya Ryan, whose 15-year-old daughter, Carly, was murdered in 2007 by a man posing as a teenager online. ... [ABC - 30/3/17]
@CNBC [29/3/17]: Cisco learned from Wikileaks that the CIA had hacked its systems
@wikileaks [29/3/17]: Apple has censored iPhone app that gives news about U.S. drone strikes 13 times
As Ecuadoreans head to the polls on Sunday, the fate of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who has been living in Ecuador's London embassy since receiving asylum from the South American nation in 2012, will also de decided.
Presidential candidate and former banker Guillermo Lasso, of the right-wing CREO party, said earlier this month that if he wins the election, he will revoke Assange's assylum saying it's “no longer necessary.”
He said he would ask Assange to leave “within 30 days,” alleging the costs of keeping him at the embassy are a financial burden.
“The Ecuadorean people have been paying a cost that we should not have to bear,” Lasso said during an interview in Quito.
Political analyst and writer Nicolas Reyes recently told teleSUR that pulling Assange's asylum could have global ramifications. ... [teleSUR - 29/3/17]
Auschwitz survivor confronts ICE Director: 'History is not on your side' [Huffington Post - 29/3/17]:
... In a dramatic moment at a public forum on immigration Tuesday, 87-year-old Bernard Marks confronted U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Acting Director Thomas Homan.
“When I was a little boy in Poland, for no other reason but for being Jewish, I was hauled off by the Nazis,” Marks said.
“And for no other reason I was picked up and separated from my family, who was exterminated in Auschwitz. And I am a survivor of Auschwitz and Dachau.” ...
@JonahFisherBBC [26/3/17]: The Burmese govt can't have it both ways - saying things better, Rakhine stabilised - but still not "safe" to give proper permits/access.
Relatives bussed to Buthidaung jail to visit suspects detained in crackdown [The Stateless - 29/3/17]
Forced labour and confiscation of construction materials resumes in Maungdaw [Arakan Times - 28/3/17]
Not in Australia ---> The exodus of nearly 100k Rohingya since October has brought their plight into the international spotlight ... @AJEnglish [27/3/17]
... Nicholas Coppel, the head of mission in Myanmar, and some diplomats based in China will visit the Woodside gas plant at Karratha in Western Australia and meet with fisheries exporters in Queensland, Ms Bishop said. ... [Nine MSN - 29/3/17]
And UNHCR said nothing as - taking cues from anti-refugee measures such as the Bali Process - the region continues to push them back ---> "Boatman" on Naf river, Maungdaw township in background. Tens of thousands of #Rohingya fled #Myanmar in recent months in boats like this. @matthewfsmith [29/3/17]
Region continues pushing back Rohingya refugees to Aung San Suu Kyi's genocide - UNHCR says nothing [bdnews24.com - 30/12/16]
UNHCR's Volker Turk calls on Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia to do something about the flow-on impact of Australia's anti-refugee atrocities [Media Release - 23/3/16]
Since 2008, Australia has resettled 250 Rohingya. We have pushed away, imprisoned and tortured 1,000s more. The impact of Australia's fanatical policies: What "stopping the boats" means for people seeking asylum in our region [Academy of Social Sciences in Australia - 2016]
Time for the UNHCR to explain why it doesn't want refugees imprisoned on Nauru and Manus Island immediately released and GENUINELY resettled.
Political prisoners of the Australian government and opposition protest on Nauru, October 2016
Situation dire as Australia refugee concentration camp profiteers rewrite their sordid history on Nauru ---> At the beginning of 2014, the controversy surrounding offshore processing of asylum seekers on Manus Island and Nauru was red hot. National opinion was divided.
Government was feeling the heat as revelations about the conditions within the facilities were beginning to surface.
It was around this time that Jason Ross decided to accept a post on Nauru that would change him forever. ... [Save The Children - 29/3/17]
As Save The Children desperately try to save their reputation, men, women and children desperately fight for their survival. ---> Fatal cases of Dengue reported on Nauru [Crikey - 24/3/17]
Save The Children not saving anyone [Green Left Weekly – 10/9/16]
Former Nauru worker explains how abuse of children is a deliberate component of Australia's anti-refugee torture policy [24/8/16]:
... What was the first case that came to your attention that made you think something is seriously wrong here?
"Three days into my first rotation on Nauru there was an adolescent boy who had been sexually assaulted. The child was living in fear of this sexual assault being repeated not just to him but to his mother who was living without a partner in the detention facility."
Who was the alleged abuser, according to the victims?
"So it was an employee who was a cleaner. And he actually admitted to the sexual assault, and while the security guards were making note of the sexual assault and taking the boy's report, the person who sexually assaulted the young boy continued to mock him. And see there was a complete lack of privacy in this detention facility, so here is a boy having to report a sexual assault and he is doing it in the open air, in front of guards, while the abuser is standing there mocking him. And see what was really amazing to me is here was a Save the Children manager there and she told me at the time that this person was going to be moved to a different detention facility within Nauru but that he wasn't going to be fired. And she said this just as a matter of, this was just normal, you have to accept it, this is just the way it is." ...
Women and children, including unaccompanied minors, will be among those sent to Nauru and Manus Island for processing under a hardline approach aimed at sending a message to people smugglers that there will be no exemptions.
With the first batch of about 40 asylum seekers to be flown this week to Nauru, where a temporary tent city has been erected, the Immigration Minister, Chris Bowen, said he would not be issuing any blanket exemptions to people sent offshore because these would be exploited by the people smugglers. ... [Sydney Morning Herald - 12/9/12]
Sydney Morning Herald [14/3/12]:
The Immigration Department developed its new, highly restrictive policy on media visits to detention centres with reference to US military arrangements governing media access to the Guantanamo Bay terrorist detention centre.
Documents released under freedom of information show the ''deed of agreement'' that Immigration insists journalists and media organisations visiting detention centres must sign was ''informed by … the current US Department of Defence media access policy for its detention facility at Guantanamo Bay''.
The department also justified extremely tight media control and censorship to the Immigration Minister, Chris Bowen [PROTECT], as ''the right balance'' in circumstances that included ''the current climate associated with media ethics, media 'phone hacking' [in Britain]''. ...
If the Australian media continues censoring these deportations - and not holding politicians to account and pushing so called human rights organisations for a response - what does it say about any of our rights?
Claire Mallinson, Thomas Albrecht, Paul Power, Julian Burnside, Castan and Kaldor Centres, Australian Greens WHY ARE YOU SILENT? ---> Behrouz Boochani [30/3/17]:
Stop deporting people after four years suffering.......
Today a Lebanese guy was deported from Manus prison.
Yesterday the Australian Border Force invited him to a meeting, but took him by force from the meeting and put him in Lorengau police station last night.
His meeting with ABF only took a few minutes, then the police took him from the meeting.
All of the Wilson officers were around him when he was talking with ABF.
Their plan is that the plane will fly on Friday morning and arrive in Lebanon on Friday night.
Two days ago six Lebanese guys went back to Lebanon 'voluntarily', but actually it was not voluntarily because they were under such pressure for a long time and only signed to go back under this pressure.
Yesterday ABF also had a meeting with three other Lebanese guys and told them 'you don't have any choice, sign and get $US25000 or we will deport you just like we did to your friend.'
ABF had a meeting with two Vietnamese guys too and threatened to deport them in the next few days.
Already about 12 people from Bangladesh signed under similar pressure and ABF told them we will send you back in the next month.
ABF is threatening other people to go back too and said you don't have any choice.
Australia is obviously breaking international laws and the refugee convention that it has obligations under, and it is a big crime by a government that has tortured people for four years.
It shows how values of humanity have died in Australia.
You, Australian government, are obviously criminal and can not wash your hands of this.
Why are you deporting people after four years suffering?
Why did Obama deport 85 Muslim asylum seekers to Bangladesh, India and Nepal? [Democracy Now - 8/4/16]
... Boochani said detainees at the Mike Compound in the centre were still receiving meals through a square hole in the fence after a riot broke out on March 18. [The National - 30/3/17]
Manus administrator slanders victims of Australia/PNG illegal refugee exile arrangement; touts how a tiny minority benefits from this ongoing misery [The National - 30/3/17]
30 March 2017